Rarely have I been so excited about a US presidential election, but the Obama – McCain spar has piqued my interest for a number of reasons:
- Old School vs. New School – a 47 year old candidate versus a 72 year old candidate, one talking about change, the other talking about reform
- ‘Attack’-style political campaigning on both sides
- The completely different backgrounds of both the presidential and vice-presidential candidates
- The role of the blogosphere has played in digging deep into political spin and doing investigative reporting that the mainstream outlets wouldn’t touch (Sarah Palin’s emails, anyone?)
- The role of the Internet in political campaigning
I won’t write a massive post on how Obama has phenomenally harnessed the power of the Internet for campaigning and fundraising. What I’m really interested in right now is his new Facebook application and how he’s using it to register voters.